Gluten free baking can sometimes be dry and crumbly but this recipe uses honey and oil instead of sugar and butter so it is a bit more moist. If you do not need to eat gluten free this recipe works with normal self raising flour as well.
Because this recipe uses honey it is not suitable for under ones but you can do a straight swap for maple syrup or if you would like to use sugar you will need 225g.
I have added courgette (zucchini) for no other reason than I like to add hidden veggies to my baking if I can- I also like the pretty green flecks!
Gluten Free Courgette and Sultana Sponge Cake Recipe
- Preheat oven to 200 C
- Mix all the ingredients in food processor
- Line two 8" baking tins with baking paper
- Divide the mixture equally between the two cake tins
- Use a spatula to spread the mixture out - the two cakes will be quite thin
- Bake for 20 minutes on the same shelf
- Leave the cakes to cool
- Spread the bottom cake with jam and then whipped cream
- Place the second cake on top
- Cut into slices and serve- serves 8 adults so probably 16 little people
Note- the fresh cream element means this cake needs eating fairly quickly. If you prefer you could just use the jam and then add the cream on the side when you serve it.