- no added sugar
- dairy free
- low calorie
- grain free
- egg free
- nut free
- soya free
- Paleo Friendly
- Primal Friendly
- Specific Carbohydrate Diet Friendly
Pretty impressive hey? What's more they are easy peasy to make and you can do loads of different things with them. My version is really straightforward and simple- you could be a lot more creative if you wanted but I just wanted to share with you the general idea and method.
Healthy Paleo Melon Birthday Cake Recipe
- 1 large watermelon
- 1 can of coconut milk (full fat)- put it in the fridge for at least 2 hours prior to making
- 1 tbsp of xylitol*
- 1tsp vanilla essence
- Sliced fruit of your choice
* You can use whatever sweetner you like or even a little sugar but do NOT use honey as the enzymes will break down the enzymes in the coconut cream and will turn it slushy and unusable.
- Using a large sharp knife slice the skin off the melon. Slice the ends off so the melon can stand up on its own.
- Next make the coconut whipped cream. If you are not bothered about using dairy you can use normal whipped cream instead.
- Open your can of coconut milk and separate the thick cream from the watery milk.
- Pour the thick cream in a bowl and stir in vanilla extract and xyltiol.
- Whisk for 5-10 minutes- You can use an electric whisk for ease and time but by hand works just as well
- Once the cream is whipped you can keep it in an airtight container in the fridge until you are ready to assemble the cake
- To assemble the cake- I would do it near to when you are going to serve it but you can do it a bit in advance and keep in the fridge
- Use a spatula to cover the cake with the whipped coconut. Ensure all the melon is covered and then carefully place your sliced fruit on the top and sides to decorate. If you can have nuts sliced almonds on the side are nice as well.