I originally intended to make american style pancakes with the flour but it became clear that it was more suited to crepes so that's what I went for in the end. They are still quite thick as far as crepes go and have that lovely lacey effect too.
These are dairy, gluten, soya and nut free. The recipe calls for milk but you can use whatever milk you usually use- be it normal cow's milk or a dairy free alternative. I say the desiccated coconut is optional because, although it would stop them from being strawberry and coconut flavour, it is not needed for the recipe to work if that makes sense!
Strawberry & Coconut Gram Flour Crepe Recipe
- 1 cup of gram flour
- 1 cup of milk ( I used coconut milk)
- 1 tbsp of oil (I used melted coconut oil)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened desiccated coconut (optional)
- 2 tbsps of reduced sugar strawberry jam (you could use my reduced sugar plum jam)
- 1 egg
- Sprinkle of cinnamon
- Oil for cooking
- Pour the flour, cinnamon and coconut into a bowl- this is your dry mix
- Pour the egg, oil, milk and jam into a jug and whisk together until combined- this is your wet mix. Note I used reduced sugar jam as I had some to use up- you could use pureed strawberries instead.
- Pour the jug of wet mix into the bowl of dry mix and whisk until well combined. The flour will still have a few small lumps in it -that's fine.
- Heat some oil in a large frying pan on a medium high heat.
- Using a 1/4 measuring cup, ladle up the mixture and pour into the centre of the pan- give it a quick swirl to evenly distribute it
- Leave for about 35 seconds- the mixture will start to bubble when it is ready to flip. You can test by putting your spatula gently underneath the edges- if it lifts up easily then it is ready to flip, if the middle is still stuck to the pan give it another few seconds.
- The other side will only need about 25 seconds before it is ready.